Sarah has a wide ranging public law practice. Sarah has advised and acted in cases concerning human rights, education, community care, equalities, environmental and planning law, housing, local government finance, prison and election law.
Sarah's recent work includes advising on:
- All aspects of governance and decision-making,
- Cuts to public services (with particular expertise on issues of consultation and the Public Sector Equality Duty),
- Housing (including tenancy strategies, guardianship schemes, homelessness),
- Planning and environmental claims (estate regeneration, development vehicles, fracking, affordable housing). Advised Shelter on viability assessments and affordable housing delivery.
- Adult community care,
- Children's services (including education, age assessments, children leaving care and community care services),
- Election and boundary disputes. Advised Electoral Reform Society on Voter ID requirements in elections.
Notable cases include:
- R (Buckley) v Bath and North East Somerset District Council  EWHC 1551 (Admin) - Successful Judicial Review of decision to redevelop social housing estate of 542 homes on grounds of failure to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty.
- R (oao Buckingham) v NHS Corby Clinical Commissioning Group  EWHC 2080 - Represented successful claimant in JR of decision to downgrade Corby Urgent Care Centre. Succeeded on all grounds: failure to consult, breach of s.14Z2 NHS Act 2006 duty to involve and breach of the PSED.
- Canterbury CC v SSCLG & Anor  EWHC 1611 - s.288 appeal on interpretation of permissive planning policies. Represented Secretary of State.
- Peters v Haringey LBC  EWHC 192 (Admin) - Judicial review of Haringey Development Vehicle. Re: Local authority's powers under the Localism Act to establish public-private partnership. Junior to David Wolfe QC (ongoing)
- Baiyelo v Corkish (Valuation Officer) (May 2017) Baiyelo v Corkish (2017) - appeal before VT President. Test case on statutory interpretation as to who is an "interested person" for the purposes of making a proposal under The Council Tax Regulations 2009.
- West Kensington and Gibbs Green Tenants Association v LB Hammersmith and Fulham  EWHC 2834 - JR to plans to demolish and redevelop thousands of council homes (junior to Gregory Jones QC)
- R (oao Rafaela Savva) v Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea  EWHC 414 (Admin) - leading case on personal budgets in community care.
- Harrow Borough Council v Ayiku  EWHC 1200 (Admin) - test case on the scope of council tax exemptions for spouses of non-British students (junior to Richard Glover QC)
- R (on the application of Morge) v Hampshire CC  UKSC 2 1 WLR 268 - Supreme Court authority on the interpretation of Article 12 of EU Habitats Directive (junior to Charles George QC)
- R(oao Phoenix & ors) v London Borough of Barnet  - Article 10 HRA on library cuts protests for Occupy London (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/06/friern-barnet-librar...)
- R (oao Maxwell) v Office of the Independent Adjudicator  ELR 637 - JR of OIA's approach to disability discrimination claims (junior to Gregory Jones QC).
- LB of Wandsworth BC v HMRC  - Re: Planning/Rating; JR challenge to indexing under Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations. Representing Claimant. Junior to Douglas Edwards QC (ongoing)
- Michael Lamming v Stevenage Borough Council  - appeal to Upper Tribunal re: legal definition of "bedroom" in context of Housing Benefit Regulations.