Sarah has a wide ranging public law practice. Sarah has advised and acted in cases concerning human rights, education, community care, equalities, environmental and planning law, housing, local government finance, prison and election law.
Sarah's recent work includes advising on:
- All aspects of governance and decision-making,
- Election law and boundary disputes. Election petitions, challenges to electoral reform and voter ID pilots.
- Cuts to public services (with particular expertise on issues of consultation and the Public Sector Equality Duty),
- Housing (including tenancy strategies, homelessness, social housing provision),
- Planning and environmental claims (estate regeneration, fracking, right to protest, social housing, equalities considerations in planning context).
- Adult community care,
- Children's services (including education, age assessments, children leaving care and community care services).
Notable cases include:
- Coughlan v Minister for Cabinet Office  - JR of Voter ID pilots (junior Michael Fordham QC) (ongoing)
- Forbes v Greene  - Election petition; abatement due to intervening General Election (junior Gavin Millar QC)
- R (Buckley) v Bath and North East Somerset District Council  EWHC 1551 (Admin) - Successful Judicial Review of decision to redevelop social housing estate of 542 homes on grounds of failure to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty.
- R (oao Buckingham) v NHS Corby Clinical Commissioning Group  EWHC 2080 - Represented successful claimant in JR of decision to close Corby Urgent Care Centre. Failure to consult, breach of the PSED.
- Canterbury CC v SSCLG & Anor  EWHC 1611 - s.288 appeal on interpretation of permissive planning policies. Represented Secretary of State.
- Peters v Haringey LBC  EWHC 192 (Admin) - Judicial review of Haringey Development Vehicle. Re: Local authority's powers under the Localism Act to establish public-private partnership. Junior to David Wolfe QC (ongoing)
- Baiyelo v Corkish (Valuation Officer) (May 2017) Baiyelo v Corkish (2017) - Test case on statutory interpretation as to who is an "interested person" for the purposes of making a proposal under Council Tax Regulations 2009.
- West Kensington and Gibbs Green Tenants Association v LB Hammersmith and Fulham  EWHC 2834 - JR to plans to demolish and redevelop thousands of council homes (junior to Gregory Jones QC)
- R (oao Rafaela Savva) v Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea  EWHC 414 (Admin) - leading case on personal budgets in community care.
- Harrow Borough Council v Ayiku  EWHC 1200 (Admin) - test case on the scope of council tax exemptions for spouses of non-British students (junior to Richard Glover QC)
- R (on the application of Morge) v Hampshire CC  UKSC 2 1 WLR 268 - Supreme Court authority on the interpretation of Article 12 of EU Habitats Directive (junior to Charles George QC)
- R(oao Phoenix & ors) v London Borough of Barnet  - Article 10 HRA on library cuts protests for Occupy London
- R (oao Maxwell) v Office of the Independent Adjudicator  ELR 637 - JR of OIA's approach to disability discrimination claims (junior to Gregory Jones QC).
- Michael Lamming v Stevenage Borough Council  - appeal to Upper Tribunal re: legal definition of "bedroom" in context of Housing Benefit Regulations.