Robin Purchas QC's main areas of work are in the fields of; administrative, environmental, local government and planning law, the High Court and tribunals and inquiries (including questions of human rights and European law). He deals with cases world-wide, and works as far afield as Hong Kong. He is a leading specialist in compulsory purchase, valuation and compensation matters. Robin has extensive experience in connection with the promotion of and opposition to major government and public schemes, including the 2012 Olympics (advising the ODA), the Channel Tunnel, the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and Crossrail Bills and the West Coast Main Line, East Midlands Parkway, Thameslink 2000, Cambridge Guided Bus and Victoria Station Upgrade Orders. He is regularly involved in infrastructure schemes in the water, energy and other related fields as well as major retail, residential, institutional, waste, minerals, highway, leisure and commercial schemes. He is regularly consulted on, and appears in, cases concerning heritage and listed building matters. He also has an extensive environmental law practice.
He acts in arbitrations and mediations in the planning, environmental and other fields. He also regularly sits as a deputy High Court judge (both in the administrative court and in other divisions of the High Court) and recorder as well as chairman of tribunals as indicated below.
Qualifications and Appointments
- Year of Call:1968
- Queens Counsel: 1987
- Bencher of Inner Temple:1996
- Member of the Bar Council: 2000-2002 - (Chairman of the Education and Training Committee 2001 - 2002)
- MA(Cantab) Senior Exhibitioner
- Attorney-General's Panel (1979-1987)
- Recorder: (1989 -)
- Deputy High Court Judge: (1994 -)
- Deputy Chairman - Data Protection Tribunal (2001-)
- Assistant Parliamentary Boundary Commissioner (1999-)
- Member of the South Eastern and the EuropeanCircuits, Administrative Law Bar Association, Bar European Group,
- Chairman of the Planning and Environment Bar Association (2004 - .
- Leader of the Parliamentary Bar (2002 - )
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
- Fellow of Society for Advanced Legal Studies
"Acclaimed as an "incredibly bright advocate who gets to the point." His "great persona and congenial manner" endear him to clients." Chambers and Partners
"‘Very incisive' Robin Purchas QC is well regarded for his planning work and has particular expertise in compulsory purchase, valuation and compensation matters." Chambers and Partners
"Instructing solicitors lavish praise on Robin Purchas QC for his ‘excellent strategic judgment and talent at cross-examining'. He presents arguments in a ‘formidable and thought-provoking way.'" Chambers and Partners