"He knows the subject matter inside out and is incredibly eloquent".
"He's incredibly intelligent."
"He is really sharp-witted and very good strategically".
Chambers and Partners 2018
"He is an excellent advocate".
Chambers and Partners 2017
Richard has long and varied experience in section 78 and enforcement notice appeals, local plan examinations, CPO inquiries and High Court challenges. That experience lies in a large number of schemes throughout their progress and in advisory work on all aspects of planning and compulsory purchase; Examples include:
- Recent significant housing proposals for the landowner in Wycombe (first by appeal and continuing in relation to the draft Local Plan) and the local planning authority in Camden and North Herts.
- Green Belt - with particular experience relating to housing (e.g. recently in Princes Risborough), commercial (such as the McLaren Formula 1 HQ outside Woking) and leisure development.
- AONB - th particular experience relating to housing (Princes Risborough again), commercial and leisure development (including a holiday village near Folkestone).
- Heritage assets - Richard has been involved in both promoting and opposing developments at or adjacent to highly protected heritage assets, including grade 1 listed buildings, conservation areas and registered parks and gardens.
- London Olympics: Richard advised the London Development Agency on the preparation for and prosecution of the compulsory purchase orders, appeared for the Agency throughout the CPO inquiries, in the High Court in respect of challenges to the Secretary of State's decision and at subsequent inquiries under section 18 of the Land Compensation Act 1961 (appropriate alternative development).
- Housing and town centre regeneration CPOs, e.g. the Margate Dreamland inquiry and subsequent challenge in the High Court and Court of Appeal; and advising authorities and developers on potential compulsory purchase, e.g. the London Legacy Development Corporation, Lambeth BC and developers in Redbridge and Hitchin.
- Inquiries etc. into linear schemes - e.g. the extension to the Manchester Tramway, the Heysham to M6 link, HS2.
- Advising operators, such as Royal Mail, and developers (such as Croudace) on land acquisition and re-development proposals.
- Conditions and obligations - Richard advises on the adequacy of conditions and planning obligations and the steps required to discharge them. He is experienced in dealing with Regulation 122 compliance issues and the evidence necessary to justify a variety of contributions, including those relating to affordable housing, highways, education and health.
- Advising statutory undertakers and others on permitted development and other planning issues.
His significant experience in valuation cases makes him particularly well placed to deal with viability (as in the National Society for Epilepsy inquiry), impact (over the years, he has appeared in inquiries for or against Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda Lidl and others) and technical highways issues.
Richard's experience in Parliamentary bills and infrastructure planning dates back to the very start of his career, when he appeared in both Houses on the Channel Tunnel Bill. He has subsequently been involved in a significant number of Bills and projects, including
- Railways and tramways - Richard's experience dates back to his involvement in the Croydon Tramlink Bill. More recent examples include acting for the Canal & River Trust and Royal Mail on the HS2 Bill and Hovis, whose major flour mill was threatened by the extension to the Manchester Tramway).
- Roads and bridges - His experience dates back to his promotion of the Dartford Crossing Bill. More recent examples include the Heysham to M6 link,
- Power stations (including the decommissioning of nuclear power stations - Trawsfynnydd, Berkeley, Hinkley - and the storage of nuclear waste).
- Power cables - notably, promoting the necessary orders to enable the undergrounding of the complex network of overhead lines that crossed the Olympic site.
- Statutory undertakers projects (e.g. the Thames Tunnel, in which he advised and acted for the Canal & River Trust).