Rebecca is regarded as the ‘go to’ junior in this area, and was described in Chambers and Partners (2020) as “a known expert in compensation”. She is immediate past Chairman of the Compulsory Purchase Association.
Rebecca has extensive experience of advising and representing both claimants and acquiring/compensating authorities on the compulsory purchase process and on compensation and land valuation, as well as related matters such as blight. She also has experience of advising respect of claims made pursuant to temporary possession powers and discretionary compensation schemes.
Recent or notable work in this area includes:
- Acting for the claimants in a number of multi-million pound claims against HS2 relating to land take at and around Euston Station
- Acting for Network Rail in relation to multiple compensation disputes arising out of the Thameslink project
- Acting for National Grid in relation to the successful Viking Link Interconnector CPO, amongst other National Grid projects
- Several substantial regeneration CPOs, including Meridian Water on behalf of LB Enfield
- Acting for the Manchester Ship Canal Company in an 8 week inquiry into a compulsory purchase order made by United Utilities pursuant to powers under the Water Industry Act 1991