Professor Áine Ryall teaches and researches environmental law, European Union law and tort law at the School of Law, University College Cork, Ireland. A qualified barrister, she holds a PhD from the European University Institute, Florence. Áine took up duty as a member of the Aarhus Convention Compliance Committee in October 2015 and was elected as Vice-Chair in November 2017. She is a member of the (Irish) Environmental Protection Agency’s Advisory Committee, the Avosetta Group, the Royal Irish Academy’s Climate Change and Environmental Sciences Committee and the European Commission Expert Group of Academics on Access to Justice in Environmental Matters. She serves on the Board of the Irish Centre for European Law (ICEL). Her current research focuses in particular on environmental assessment, access to justice, environmental law enforcement and implementation of the Aarhus Convention.
Further information: http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/B012/aryall
- 'Delivering Energy Policy in Ireland: Politics, Protest & Law'
- in Heffron, R J and Little G (eds), Delivering Energy Law & Policy in the EU & the US: A Reader (Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, forthcoming, 2016)
- 'Strategic Environmental Assessment: the Irish Experience' in Jones, G and Scotford, E (eds), The Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive: A Plan for Success? (Oxford: Hart Publishing, forthcoming 2016)
- 'Realising Environmental Information Rights in Ireland: the Impact of the Aarhus Convention'. (2015) 3 Environmental Law and Practice Review (forthcoming)
- 'A Framework for Exploring the Idea of an Environmental Court for Ireland' (2015) 22 Irish Planning and Environmental Law Journal 87
- 'Enforcing EU Environmental Law Against Member States: Air Pollution, National Courts and the Rule of Law' (2015) 6 European Journal of Risk Regulation 305
- 'Environmental Information Rights in Ireland: An Assessment of Compliance with the Aarhus Convention & EU Law' (2014) 22 Environmental Liability 182
- 'Planning for Access to Justice in Environmental Matters' (2014) 21 Irish Planning and Environmental Law Journal 131
Recent papers and presentations
- ‘Access to Information on the Environment - Early Experiences and Emerging Issues' Local Authority Solicitors Bar Association Conference, Cork, 28 May 2010
- ‘Communicating European Environmental Citizenship' Communicating European Citizenship, UACES, London, 22 March 2010(www.uaces.org/events/conferences/cec/programme/index.php)
- ‘Impact of EU Environmental Law on Access to "Environmental Justice", Planning Enforcement Law - the Practitioners' Perspective Irish Planning Institute, Cork Branch, 11 March 2010
- ‘Environmental Impact Assessment Directive: Room for Improvement?' Law and Law Enforcement for Biodiversity Protection European Environment Bureau and Coastwatch seminar, Dublin, 26 February 2010
- ‘Environmental Impact Assessment and Access to Justice', Irish Environmental Network, Dublin, 24 November 2009.
- ‘Legal Protection before National Courts: General Considerations' Environmental Impact Assessments and Enforcement of Community Law Academy of European Law (ERA) and Portuguese Centre of Judicial Studies, Lisbon 2-3 November 2009
- ‘Access to Environmental Information: International and European Union Law Standards', paper presented at seminar on Environmental Information organised by the Centre for Freedom of Information, Dundee Law School, 22 October 2009 (http://www.centrefoi.org.uk/seminars_archive.php)