Merrow has gained wide experience of CPO-related matters. She recently acted as junior counsel in:
- Anixter Ltd v Secretary of State for Transport  EWCA Civ 43 (acting for the Secretary of State for Transport, junior to Richard Honey) – the Court of Appeal confirmed the meaning of a “long tenancy which is about to expire” under section 2(2) of the Compulsory Purchase (Vesting Declarations) Act 1981 and the meaning of “served” in paragraph 5(a) of Schedule 2A of the Compulsory Purchase Act 1965 (regarding time-limits for the service of material detriment counter-notices).
- Pro Investments Ltd v Hounslow LBC  UKUT 319 (LC) (acting for Pro Investments Ltd, junior to Guy Roots QC) – the Upper Tribunal Lands Chamber allowed Pro Investments Ltd’s CAAD appeal relating to land compulsorily acquired for Brentford Football Club’s new stadium scheme. The main issue concerned the acceptable height, scale and massing of the development having regard to the degree of harm caused to the setting of surrounding heritage assets.
Her experience also includes:
- Assisting in drafting a defence to a claim made under Part 1 of the Lands Compensation Act 1973.
- Research work into the powers of local authorities to CPO land outside of their area.
- Assisting in assessing the scope of a highway authority’s CPO powers over Crown land.