Jonathan joined Chambers in October 2020 following the successful completion of his pupillage in Chambers, under the supervision of Melissa Murphy, Mark Westmoreland Smith and Hugh Flanagan. He welcomes instructions to act across all of Chambers’ practice areas.
Before undertaking pupillage at FTB, Jonathan spent a year as judicial assistant to Lindblom L.J. in the Court of Appeal.
Jonathan has particular experience in the following areas:
- planning and environment, including enforcement
- compulsory purchase and compensation
- rating and valuation
- public and human rights law
- rights of way and highways
- information law
- public order and anti-social behaviour law
Notable examples of Jonathan’s recent and ongoing work include:
- Acting as sole counsel in a 9-day highways inquiry for a statutory objector, a case involving considerable technical expert evidence concerning railway operations;
- Acting as sole counsel in an 8-day planning inquiry on behalf of an adjoining commercial landowner and Rule 6(6) party;
- Assisting Morag Ellis QC in relation to a sensitive and strategically important site allocated for development in a local plan;
- Advising on and preparing pre-action correspondence for challenges relating to a local authority scheme of delegation and the approach taken to flood risk; habitats issues; and assessment of noise impacts of development;
- Appearing as sole counsel on behalf of a neighbourhood forum at a local plan examination;
- Assisting in preparing a s.288 challenge of an inspector decision concerning a substantial residential dwelling;
- Acting for and advising the Metropolitan Police in a number of public order and anti-social behaviour matters.
Jonathan is tech savvy and entirely comfortable working in the current world of virtual hearings and inquiries, having been involved in the first virtual rights of way inquiry to take place, a virtual planning inquiry, and two virtual local plan examinations.
Jonathan is planning editor of the Property Law UK journal.
In appropriate cases, Jonathan is happy to work on a pro-bono basis.