Hereward has very extensive experience of successfully promoting and resisting a wide range of infrastructure projects under the Planning Act 2008, the Transport and Works Act 1992 and the Harbours Act 1964 and in Parliament.
- Promoting EDF's new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point C in Somerset
- Promoting EDF's new nuclear power station at Sizewell C in Suffolk
- Promoting CGN and EDF's new nuclear power station at Bradwell-on-Sea in Essex
- Promoting NuGen's new nuclear power station at Moorside in West Cumbria
- Promoting the East Anglia One Offshore Windfarm
- Promoting the Navitus Bay Offshore Windfarm
- Promoting the National Grid Hinkley Point C grid connection
- Promoting the National Grid Humber Carbon Capture and Storage scheme
- Objecting to the Galloper Offshore Windfarm on behalf of EDF
- Advising DECC on the National Policy Statements for Energy
- Objecting to the National Grid Richborough Connection Project, on behalf of South East Water
- Advising promoters on a range of energy storage schemes, and small scale generating stations
Water and wastewater
- Promoting the Thames Tideway Tunnel on behalf of Thames Water
- Promoting the River Thames (Datchett to Teddington) Scheme on behalf of the Environment Agency
- Objecting to the Eccles Wastewater Treatment Works CPO on behalf of the Manchester Ship Canal Company Limited
- Promoting the expansion of Stansted Airport
- Promoting the expansion of Heathrow Airport
- Objecting to the CPO for the expansion of London City Airport
- Advsing Cambridge Airport
- Promoting the Rail Central new Strategic Rail Freight Interchange
- Objecting to the Northampton Gateway new Strategic Fail Freight Interchange
- Objecting to HS2
- Objecting to Crossrail
- Objecting to Thameslink 2000
- Objecting to the redevelopment of Camden Town Underground Station
- Advising on the West Midlands Gateway new Strategic Rail Freight Interchange
- Promoting a compulsory purchase order for the redevelopment of Coventry Rail Station and Bus Interchange
Roads and Bridges
- Promoting the Upper Orwell Crossings on behalf of Suffolk County Council
- Promoting the Hinkley Point C Harbour Empowerment Order
- Promoting the Paramount London Entertainment Resort
Changes to DCOs
- Successfully promoting post-consent changes to DCOs
Planning and environmental
Hereward has very considerable experience in promoting and resisting a wide range of development proposals, and advising on all aspects of planning and environmental law.
- Representing Heathrow Airport Limited at the public inquiry into the development required to end the 'Cranford Agreement'.
- Numerous public inquiries on behalf of developers, local planning authorities and third parties in relation to major development schemes promoted under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
- This has included many 'urban extension' schemes between 900 to 3,000 homes together with significant employment, retail and other development.
- Extensive experience of promoting and resisting housing development, including single replacement dwellings of exceptional architectural merit, conversion of various listed buildings to residential use, 'backland' development and outline schemes for hundreds of new homes on greenfield sites.
- Extensive experience of neighbourhood planning issues related to housing development, both for developers and authorities.
- Extensive experience of Administrative Court litigation on housing development and policy issues.
Retail and employment developments
- Promoting and resisting a number of retail and employment developments including new supermarkets in existing high streets and proposed new centres, large out of centre retail developments including designer outlet shopping centres, and strategic employment sites.
- Promoting schemes for onshore production of oil and gas
- Promoting small scale generating stations
Listed buildings, conservation areas and scheduled ancient monuments
- Promoting and resisting a number of schemes involving the proposed change of use of a wide range of listed buildings.
- Extensive experience of development proposals affecting the setting of listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments, and within conservation areas.
- Promoting the joint Oxfordshire Plan
- Promoting and objecting to a range of local development plans
- Judicial Review and Injunctive proceedings in relation to neighbourhood plans (R (Gladman Developments) v. Aylesbury Vale DC (CO/3104/2014)); R (Legard) v. Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (CO/399/2016)
Habitats Directive schemes
- Promoting the creation of an extensive new area of replacement inter-tidal habitat pursuant to the Habitats Directive.
- Numerous enforcement inquiries on behalf of developers and local planning authorities including development of airfields, a wide variety of changes of use, creation of new dwellings etc.
- Promoting the pedestrianisation of Oxford Street on behalf of Westminster City Council.
Hereward regularly appears in the Administrative Court and Court of Appeal, with a particular emphasis on challenging and defending decisions of both central and local government relating to planning policy and development control decisions. He has also appeared in the Supreme Court on behalf of the Government in relation to the interpretation of the National Planning Policy Framework. Before taking silk, he was a member of the Attorney General's 'A' panel of counsel, having previously served on the 'B' and 'C' panels.
Notable cases include:
- Pearce v. Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy  EWHC 326 (Admin)
- Girling v. East Suffolk Council  EWHC 2579 (Admin)
- Satnam Millennium v. Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government  EWHC 2631 (Admin)
- Jelson Ltd. v. Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  EWCA Civ 24
- R (Legard) v Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea  EWHC 32 (Admin)
- Suffolk Coastal DC v Hopkins Homes & SSCLG  1 WLR 1865;  UKSC 37;  EWCA Civ 168
- R (Hawksworth Securities Plc) v. Peterborough City Council  EWHC 1870 (Admin)
- Edward Ware Homes Ltd v SSCLG  EWHC 103 (Admin)
- R (Gladman Developments Limited) v. Aylesbury Vale District Council  EWHC 4323 (Admin)
- R (An Taisce) v. (1) Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change (2) NNB Generation Company Ltd  EWCA Civ 111;  Env. L.R,2
- IM Properties Development Ltd. v. Lichfield DC  EWHC 2440 (Admin);  P.T.S.R. 1484
- Taylor Wimpey (West London) Ltd. v. Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  EWHC 2082 (Admin)
- R (Gazelle Properties Ltd) v. Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  EWHC 93 (Admin)
- Lambrou v. Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  JPL 538
- R (An Taisce) v. (1) Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change (2) NNB Generation Company Ltd  EWHC 4161 (Admin))
- Stevens v. Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government  JPL 1383
- Smith v. SSCLG  JPL 975
- Helioslough Ltd v. SSCLG  EWHC 2054 (Admin)
- Britannia Assets (UK) Ltd v. SSCLG  EWHC 1908 (Admin)
- Morbaine Ltd. v. (1) Secretary of State (2) Aylesbury Vale DC  EWHC 681 (Admin)
- Simpson v. Secretary of State  EWHC 283 (Admin)
- Bella Vista Restaurant Ltd. v. Secretary of State  EWHC 510 (Admin)
- Leeds CC v. (1) Secretary of State (2) Libra Demolition Ltd  EWHC 1412;  JPL 1468
- R (Byfield) v. Hackney BC  EWHC 2399 (Admin)
- David Morris v. (1) Secretary of State (2) LB Haringey (3) Presentation Housing Association  EWHC 1656 (Admin)
- R (Fladgate Fielder LLP) v. (1) WCC (2) Land Securities  EWHC 991 (Admin)
- St Edmundsbury BC v. Secretary of State  JPL 434
- Fewings v. Secretary of State  JPL 433
- R (London & Stamford Investments Ltd) v. (1) Stoke on Trent CC (2) Prologis Ltd  EWHC 2746 (Admin)
- Hillingdon LBC v. (1) Secretary of State (2) Autodex Ltd.  JPL 1486
- Ensign Group Ltd. v. Secretary of State  JPL 141
- Takeley PC v. (1) BAA (2) STAL (3) Secretary of State  JPL 126
- Searle v. Secretary of State (2007) JPL 656
- R (Candlish) v. Hastings BC  JPL 22
- R (Port Regis School Ltd.) v. North Dorset DC  JPL 1695
- R (Hart Aggregates Ltd) v. Hartlepool BC  JPL 1602
- R (Alconbury Developments Ltd) v. Secretary of State  2 WLR 1389
Hereward has appeared in a number of compulsory purchase compensation cases, most notably RMC (UK) Ltd. v. LB Greenwich  R.V.R. 140 and Yorkshire Traction Co. Ltd. v. South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive  R.V.R. 67. He has advised the Highways Agency on a variety of compensation matters arising from new road schemes, and is a member of the panel of counsel dealing with the compensation claims arising from the Crossrail scheme.